Meeting Date: 30 June 2022
- Update on the database:
- The database and Grafana are both accessible directly from the ETH network (now confirmed), or with hest2 VPN from outside (also confirmed).
- Please contact LH for your Grafana QuickViews.
- The FLUXNET Warm Winter 2020 dataset is now available in the database for the Swiss sites: CH-AWS, CH-CHA, CH-DAV, CH-FRU, CH-LAE and CH-OE2.
- MeteoScreening (data quality checks) via the database is currently in the testing phase and can already solve many data problems. It is done using diive in Jupyter notebooks.
- The folder
P:\Flux\RDS_calculationsis a temporary folder. Please move Level-0 flux calculations (preliminary fluxes) to the Level-0 folder on
gl-processing. For example, for CH-CHA move files to
Z:\CH-CHA_Chamau\20_ec_fluxes\2022\Level-0(gl-processing is mounted as drive Z in this example).
- Checking recent fluxes from our stations.
- If you are (Tech-)SRP, please attend QA/QC meetings or tell LH if you can’t, needed for planning of the meetings.
- SRP & Tech-SRP: please prepare short statement about your site and send to to LH (max. 2 sentences)
- The purpose of QA/QC meetings is to check on current, incoming data. SRPs choose specific issues we should look at together and discuss in the group. Fluxes are checked if the respective SRP wishes to do so.
- There is a list of known variable abbreviations that you can use in case you wonder what an abbreviation means: Variable Abbreviations
- Check of EC raw data files:
- Recommended check for SRPs and T-SRPS: take a look at EC raw data files and check if they look OK
- Current EC raw data files are automatically converted to ASCII each day (done by the Python script bico)
- Files and their plots can be found here, e.g. for CH-LAS:
- Weekly flux calculations on the RDS:
- Please calculate fluxes and check them once per week, or more often if you wish to do so.
- If you cannot calculate the fluxes, try to find a substitute, e.g. LH.
- Please move your Level-0 results from the RDS to the respective Level-0 folder.
- Automatic upload of Level-0 fluxes to the database will be implemented soon.
- List of QA/QC Meeting dates: QA/QC Meetings 2022
LH, YW, RM, FT, AS, IF, MS, LK, LS, SB, GA, SA (12)
Data from the last 30d, directly from the database. Grafana allows us to check meteo data from multiple stations in one plot. Both SW_IN and TA are very important variables, make sure to check them regularly.
This year so far … CO2 fluxes
Short data gap due to software issues. CO2 uptake increasing until June, then mid-June becomes a CO2 source, probably due to grazing (and/or high air temperatures).
Very clear and consistent CO2 uptake since first day of the year. Fertilization on 14.3., rain on 15.3. (only rain event in March). N2O and CH4 fluxes nearly complete, only one 24h-gap so far this year. Very obvious sharp decrease of CO2 update after the mowing event (May 10th). Sharp decrease of CO2 update after two mowing events (May 10th and June 10th), but the grasses are also growing quickly afterwards.
EC system runs well, but there was an issue with one of the sonic transducers (it popped out of the housing, found 9 Feb 2022, transducer was pushed back in), no issue visible in data. Sonic was replaced on 8 Mar 2022 (HS-100). CO2 uptake seems rather low for this time of the year.
After snowmelt (in April?), clear net emission of CO2, see the red cumulative curve in the lower left corner of this plot:
High CO2 uptake, few gaps. Harvest in June (not confirmed yet), approx. at the same time as the very hot day (19 June 2022).
Unknown data format between mid-December and start of February, we will try find out the format. Data gap in February due to calibration. The forest is doing amazing (CO2 uptake) at the moment. An interesting phenomena was decrease in sensible heat in May as the energy was used more for latent heat. So in summary the forest kept its cool during recent warm spell. Looks like reduced CO2 uptake around the very hot 19 June 2022.
End of April beginning of May the cumulative of CO2 over-passed the zero line, then there was a small pick of positive NEE (but we have some data gaps there) and after the NEE over-passed zero line again. As soon as the tree leaves came out in mid May the uptake of wild garlic decreased and the forest floor became a carbon source again.
Already very clear CO2 uptake during the day since start of year. First cut of the temporary grassland on 14.05.2022. Second cut of the grass on the 25th of June. VPD also very high mid of June.
Last Updated on 30 Jun 2022 12:47