Short Report – QA/QC Meeting May 2022
Meeting Date: 25 May 2022
- Checking recent fluxes from our stations
- Some site scripts on the RDS need an update, please contact LH. Still open: CH-OE2
- The folder
P:\Flux\RDS_calculationsis a temporary folder. Please move Level-0 flux calculations (preliminary fluxes) to the Level-0 folder on
gl-processing. For example, for CH-CHA move files to
Z:\CH-CHA_Chamau\20_ec_fluxes\2022\Level-0(gl-processing is mounted as drive Z in this example).
- Update on the database (db):
- IMPORTANT: is Grafana currently accessible from the ETH network without hest2 VPN?
- Please contact LH for your Grafana QuickViews.
- There is a new dynamic and very useful Dashboard in Grafana, you can find it in
ALL SITES / Processing / EddyPro Output.
- You can select your site and check the EddyPro output for the year so far.
- It shows results for your site available in the Level-0 folder (see previous point).
- This Dashboard gives more details about the EddyPro output in a nice overview.
- This Dashboard will be extended to include more descriptions of what you see.
- It uses the *_fluxnet_* file from the EddyPro output. Normally, we have used the *_full_output_* file, but we will transition to using the fluxnet file. Both files contain the same data, but the fluxnet file contains many more variables and the FLUXNET variable abbreviations (also used in ICOS).
- If you are (Tech-)SRP, please attend QA/QC meetings or tell LH if you can’t, needed for planning of the meetings.
- SRP & Tech-SRP: please prepare short statement about your site and send to to LH (max. 2 sentences)
- The purpose of QA/QC meetings is to check on current, incoming data. SRPs choose specific issues we should look at together and discuss in the group. Fluxes are checked if the respective SRP wishes to do so.
- There is a list of known variable abbreviations that you can use in case you wonder what an abbreviation means: Variable Abbreviations
- Check of EC raw data files:
- Recommended check for SRPs and T-SRPS: take a look at EC raw data files and check if they look OK
- Current EC raw data files are automatically converted to ASCII each day (done by the Python script bico)
- Files and their plots can be found here, e.g. for CH-LAS:
- Weekly flux calculations on the RDS:
- Please calculate fluxes and check them once per week, or more often if you wish to do so.
- If you cannot calculate the fluxes, try to find a substitute, e.g. LH.
- Please move your Level-0 results from the RDS to the respective Level-0 folder.
- Automatic upload of Level-0 fluxes to the database will be implemented soon.
- List of QA/QC Meeting dates: QA/QC Meetings 2022
LH, FT, RM, RG, GA, LK, TB, DX (8)
Grafana allows us to check meteo data from multiple stations in one plot. Both SW_IN and TA are very important variables, make sure to check them regularly.
Short data gap due to software issues. Now very high CO2 uptake.
Very clear and consistent CO2 uptake since first day of the year. Fertilization on 14.3., rain on 15.3. (only rain event in March). N2O and CH4 fluxes nearly complete, only one 24h-gap so far this year. Very obvious sharp decrease of CO2 update after the mowing event (May 10th)
EC system runs well, but there was an issue with one of the sonic transducers (it popped out of the housing, found 9 Feb 2022, transducer was pushed back in), no issue visible in data. Sonic was replaced on 8 Mar 2022 (HS-100).
Now, after snowmelt, clear net emission of CO2.
High CO2 uptake, few gaps.
Unknown data format between mid-December and start of February, we will try find out the format. Data gap in February due to calibration. The forest is doing amazing (CO2 uptake) at the moment. An interesting phenomena was decrease in sensible heat in May as the energy was used more for latent heat. So in summary the forest kept its cool during recent warm spell.
End of April beginning of May the cumulative of CO2 over-passed the zero line, then there was a small pick of positive NEE (but we have some data gaps there) and after the NEE over-passed zero line again. As soon as the tree leaves came out in mid May the uptake of wild garlic decreased and the forest floor became a carbon source again.
Already very clear CO2 uptake during the day since start of year. First cut of the temporary grassland on 14.05.2022.