See here for more info about the EC raw binary format.
- Binaries From … The first valid file that contains the first data for the respective year.
- Binaries To … The last valid file that contains the last data for the respective year.
- Format … The format settings that were used. FRMT files contain information about the sequence of incoming data, e.g. first the SA, then GA1, then GA2. Generally, the FRMT files contain correct information about these data sequences, but not necessarily about processing settings because the settings are different depending on the use case (e.g. preliminary fluxes use settings that speed up processing time).
- GA … Gas analyzer, shown as the data block of incoming data.
- GA1 Sep, GA2 Sep … Northward, Eastward and Vertical separation of the GA inlet in relation to the SA center, given in mm (Note: EddyPro needs distances in cm), for more info see here
- HS50 … Gill HS-50 sonic anemometer
- HS50+ … Gill HS-50 sonic anemometer, the + sign means that additional HS50 output variables were added to the data file.
- IRGA72 … LI-COR 7200 enclosed path infrared gas analyzer.
- IRGA72+ … LI-COR 7200 enclosed path infrared gas analyzer, the + sign means that additional IRGA72 output variables were added to the data file.
- n.a. … Not available, see notes.
- QCL … Quantum-cascade laser.
- SA … Sonic anemometer, shown as the data block of incoming data.
- SA Ori … The direction in which the spar where the SA is mounted points.
- Year … Given with an underscore, whereby the underscore denotes a change in the data format. For example, in 2015_2 the QCL was added to the data file, but the QCL was not installed in 2015_1.
ICOS Setup since 2014 (ETH binary files)
|wdt_ID||Year||FRMT||GA1S||GA2S||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Ori||GA1 Sep||GA2 Sep||Notes|
|Year||FRMT||GA1S||GA2S||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Ori||GA1 Sep||GA2 Sep||Notes|
(1) Raw binary file ending can be either start with “X” or “d”.
(2) QCL is now part of the data chain. Exact setup follows TODO
(3) Raw data now contains additional data from Gill HS50 and IRGA72, as required by ICOS Instruction Documents:
- HS50: has now two new columns
StaD_SA, and instead of
Inclinometer_ythere is only one column
Inclinometer. In total, there are now 7 columns instead of 6.
- IRGA72: has now 13 columns instead of 12 columns.
- QCL: no change
(4) IRGA72 was dismounted on 2018-03-21 and sent to Licor for factory calibration.
(5) No IRGA72 data (instrument in factory calibration).
(6) QCL was dismounted and sent back to the factory for repairs. The QCL data is still part of the raw data files (empty data).
(7) IRGA72 re-installed at site on 2018-04-30.
(8) ICOS sync test 2018: During 2018_4 and 2018_5, the sequence in the raw binary files changed. It is tricky to find out the correct sequence, but since the CO2 mixing ratio is missing from the raw data files in 2018_4, it is recommended to calculate fluxes for this time period from the ICOS Setup since 2018 (ICOS csv files) files instead. Those files also contain CO2 mixing ratio during this sync test period.
(9) ICOS sync test 2018: SA with 2 additional analogue channels, IRGA72 in analogue test mode:
- Sequence during analogue test:
(therefore missing are:
- (file 2018100113.X53: SA still without analogue channels, but IRGA72 is already in the analogue test mode)
(10) ICOS sync test 2018: SA with 2 additional analogue channels, IRGA72 back in normal mode:
- therefore default sequence in IRGA72:
(11) Back to the regular file format, same as (6). SA now again without analogue channels, IRGA72 in normal mode.
(12) IMPORTANT: regarding SA orientation, it seems like we get the correct wind direction when we set
North alignmentin EddyPro to
Spar. This needs additional checks.See also here.
(13) IRGA72 heated intake tube added. At the same time, the IRGA72 inlet was changed to a new location. QCL inlet unchanged.
(14) QCL inlet was moved to new position.IRGA72 inlet unchanged.
(15) Note that the IRGA72 fluxes for 2015_2 and 2015_3 can be calculated in one go, because the format of the two periods is the same and in 2015_3 only the separation for the QCL changed (but not for the IRGA72).
(16) The file
2019082913.X00seems to be erroneous and must be skipped.
(17) The file
2019102513.X00seems to be erroneous and must be skipped.
ICOS Setup since 2018 (ICOS csv files)
|wdt_ID||Year||Format||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Orientation||Notes|
|Year||Format||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Orientation||Notes|
(1) 2018_1: Initial format for ICOS.
(2) 2018_2: Refined ICOS format, following the recommendations by the ETC.
(3) 2018_3: Regular ICOS format. TA_SONIC is now given in Kelvin instead of °C.
(4) 2018_4: ICOS sync test: Start of synchronisation tests for ICOS. The 2 files shown here contain additional columns: AN1, AN2, AUX1, AUX2, AUX3, AUX4. For ICOS, this format change required a new header file, and the filename requires a new Fxx file number (not done!). The file number in brackets shows the correct file number (F02), but at the time of the tests we missed to rename the files, i.e. the files still show F01 but should be F02.
(5) 2018_5: ICOS Sync Test finished, data format is basically the same as 2018_3, BUT there is an additional column in the data that should not be there. This additional column does not have a header entry, which means that all other columns after this additional column are shifted by one in relation to the data. The problem is illustrated here: 2018-10-10_wrong_header_ICOS_EC_files.xlsx
The header says
"PRESS_DELTA", "COOLER_V", but it should say something like
"PRESS_DELTA", "AUX1", "COOLER_V". This means, that all columns after
"PRESS_DELTA"are shifted by one.
- In summary, these files have this header:
"TIMESTAMP","U","V","W","T_SONIC","SA_DIAG_TYPE","SA_DIAG_VALUE","GA_DIAG_CODE","CO2_CONC",, (+1 empty header column at the end)
- But they should have something like this:
ICOS mandates to give a new file number to the raw data file, we used F04. Regularly, this would have been F03, but since the assumed file format change for F03 is obsolete we stick with the already implemented F04.
(6) 2018_6: Regular ICOS format. Same as 2018_03 before sync test. The wrong header from 2018_5 is now corrected.The correct header is: “TIMESTAMP”,”U”,”V”,”W”,”T_SONIC”,”SA_DIAG_TYPE”,”SA_DIAG_VALUE”,”GA_DIAG_CODE”,”CO2_CONC”,”H2O_CONC”,”T_CELL”,”PRESS_CELL”,”PRESS_BOX”,”PRESS_DELTA”,”COOLER_V”,”CO2″,”CO2_DRY”,”H2O”,”H2O_DRY”,”T_DEW”,”T_CELL_IN”,”T_CELL_OUT”,”FLOW_VOLRATE”,”FLOW_PRESS”,”H2O_POW_SAM”,”H2O_POW_REF”,”CO2_POW_SAM”,”CO2_POW_REF”,”GA_TUBE_HEAT”,”GA_TUBE_HEAT_V”
(7) The north off-set of the sonic anemometer was determined via this map: direct link
ICOS Sync Test 2018
The synchronization test as required by ICOS was performed in October 2018. The sync test file that was submitted to ICOS covers the time period:
- Start: 2018-10-02 11:02:00.05
- End: 2018-10-04 15:00:00.00
Non-ICOS Setup 1997-2016 (ETH binary files)
|wdt_ID||Year||Format||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Ori||GA1 Sep||GA2 Sep||Notes|
|Year||Format||Binaries From||Binaries To||SA||GA 1||GA 2||SA Ori||GA1 Sep||GA2 Sep||Notes|
General: check the Article locations.table for more information about legacy settings, especially for sonic orientation. In this file, different offsets are given than in the Table above, needs check when doing new final flux runs.
(1) Data logged at 20.825 Hz.
(2) See “Note on wind direction 2005-08-09 until 2006-12-16” below.
Davos011231_23.raw, wind direction looks correct if -60° compared to the other time periods 1997-2005 (IRGA62).
Davos020209_11.raw, wind direction looks correct if -60° compared to the other time periods 1997-2005 (IRGA62).
(4) Data logged at 33Hz.
(5) IRGA75 data not available.
(6) During these time periods fluxes have to be calculated using the IRGA72 data.
(7) Note that IRGA72 comes BEFORE IRGA75 in the instrument chain.
(8) IRGA72 dismounted, from now on now logged in separate raw binary files.
(9) For some reason there are 8 extra bytes in line #47688 in raw binary 2011121623.b00. It seems like the Li-7500 data coming from the instrument is stored twice in a row. This is the only file where this happened, the following files worked as expected. Field site was visited on 2011-12-16.
Note on wind direction AFTER 2006-12-16
Wind direction in the EddyPro fluxes 2007b-2012a look very good and I (LH) assume they are right because new EddyPro 2011 wind direction looks the same as for the old ethflux fluxes. However, in the old ethflux flux results the wind direction changes abruptly on 2009-05-11, after this date ethflux results are the same as EddyPro results (validated using 2009 data). So, before this date it had probably been forgotten to adjust sonic orientation in ethflux.
Note on wind direction 2005-08-09 until 2006-12-16
The sonic r2 was used, maybe in “spar” mode. This would mean a different offset (30° difference) as compared to EddyPro wind direction calculated in “axis” mode. If orientation was 239° (a -80° difference to later) and “spar” instead of axis we can come up with 110° difference, this explains the difference approximately. Wind data looked right when I added 60° to the EddyPro wind direction output. v2016-06: for this time period I adjusted the sonic offset and changed it from 239° to 299° to account for the approx. 60° offset. LH
Note on wind direction 2006-12-17 until 2006-12-19
Wind data looked right when I subtracted 120° from the EddyPro wind direction output, i.e. for this time period I adjusted the wind direction manually in the FINAL_FLAG and ghg-europe_eddy results files. LH
Abbreviations: SA … sonic anemometer, GA … gas analyzer
.eddypro and .metadata files for flux calculations. These files contain info about the instrument setup, i.e. what instruments are installed and in which sequence. Processing options might need to be adjusted as needed.
- CH-DAV_FRMT-A (zip) 25 Apr 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-C (zip) 25 Apr 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-D (zip) 25 Apr 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-E (zip) 25 Apr 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-F (zip) 25 Apr 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-G (zip) 27 Sep 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-H (zip) 27 Sep 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-I (zip) 27 Sep 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-J2 (zip) 27 Sep 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-J3 (zip) 6 Sep 2019
- CH-DAV_FRMT-K (zip) 6 Sep 2019
File sizes approx. 10 KB.